To protect migrating children in Europe is a priority of the EU and EU Member States. Join the webinar of EMN Netherlands that addresses the policies and ambitions of the European Commission, EU Member States and The Netherlands to put this into practice. Special attention will be given to the transition to adulthood of unaccompanied minors. The webinar starts with a contribution of the European Commission and the Dutch Ministry of Justice and Security, followed by a panel discussion on the transition to adulthood in Belgium, Ireland and The Netherlands.
Invitation webinar 'Children in migration in Europe and The Netherlands: European and national policies, transition to adulthood'
Webinar 'Children in migration in Europe and The Netherlands: European and national policies, transition to adulthood'
Date: Tuesday 12 October, 10:30-12:30 CEST
Organisation: EMN Netherlands
Registration: Click here
EMN study on children in migration
The webinar is following up on the study of the European Migration Network (EMN) on children in migration that, on request of the European Commission, provides comparable information from 26 European countries. This EMN study maps the state of implementation of the recommendations laid down in the European Commission Communication on the protection of children in migration (2017). In addition, EMN Netherlands conducted a benchmark that compares the Dutch study results with those of other Member States and Norway. The highlights of the study and benchmark will be briefly presented in the webinar.
10:30‐10:40 | Welcome
Mr. Hans Lemmens, Coordinator EMN Netherlands
10:40‐10:50 | EC priorities on children in migration, Pact on Migration and Asylum, and the new EU Strategy on the Rights of the Child
Mr. Michael Shotter, Director for Migration, Asylum & Visa, Directorate‐General for Migration and Home Affairs, European Commission
10:50‐11:00 | Policy priorities in relation to children in migration in the Netherland
Mr. Joël Schoneveld, Deputy Director Asylum and Protection, Immigration and Naturalisation Service, Ministry of Justice and Security
11:00‐11:10 | Q&A session on EC and Dutch priorities
11:10‐11:15 | Break
11:15‐12:05 | Panel discussion on national policy priorities on the transition to adulthood
- Ireland: Mrs. Barbara Monaghan, social work team leader, Team for Separated Children Seeking Asylum, Tusla/Child and Family Agency (Sir Patrick Duns Hospital)
- Belgium: Mr. Karl de Winne, senior policy officer Non‐accompanied minors, Fedasil (Federal agency for the reception of asylum seekers)
- Netherlands: Mrs. Noor Bertens, senior policy officer, Nidos (national guardianship institution for unaccompanied and separated children in The Netherlands)
12:05‐12:25 | Q&A session, results polls
12:25‐12:30 | Concluding remarks
Moderator webinar: Mr Hans Lemmens, Coordinator EMN Netherlands
Policy makers, researchers and those interested are welcome to join. Please feel free to share this invitation with others to whom the webinar might be interesting.
We are looking forward to welcoming you on 12 October.
Please register here.
EMN publications on children in migration
- Benchmark EMN Netherlands, summary benchmark (Dutch): 'Bescherming van minderjarige migranten in Europa, de situatie in Nederland vergeleken met andere EU-lidstaten', 13 July 2021
- Benchmark EMN Netherlands (English, pdf): 'Protection of minor migrants in Europe, the situation in the Netherlands compared to other EU Member States', 23 september 2021
- Comparative EMN study EU Member States: 'Children in migration', March 2021